FOUNDATION PURPOSE & BUSINESSES
PURPOSE OF THE FOUNDATION
Under the Mariner’s Law of Japan, certain vessels that would normally be required to maintain a doctor on board can be exempted from this requirement if so approved by the Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. Such vessels must have in place appropriate alternative measures for the prevention and treatment of injury and illness. JSMAC provides an overseas and domestic medical support system that helps shipping companies to fulfill the “onboard doctor exemption” requirement.
- Maintenance and improvement of overseas assigned medical organizations and intermediaries.
- Offering of refresher courses for health supervisors.
- Arrangements for visits to ships and consultation by domestic assigned medical organizations.
- Education about medical care and health through the publication of a member magazine.
- Production of publications on healthcare.
JSMAC’S management and operating costs are financed through membership fees and interest of the found.